Looking at the west door walk to the left of the Kirk and look at Halkerston’s Tower (2), part of the restoration work and designed by Sir Robert Lorimer to mark the position of a late 15th century tower probably built by Halkerston, the King’s Master Mason. Look up to the church tower where a bartizan belfry houses a collection of silent bells dating from the 14th century onwards. In 1935 a fine new carillon of 34 bells was installed in the Kirk Tower with the Bourdon Bell dated 1506 and inscribed, in Latin, “made in Mechlin by Peter de Waghevens”. Inscribed on the leaded spire above the belfry are the names of 18th century members of the Town Council.
Read More Information here